Hi everyone & welcome to my very first Bookish Debate post! I’m going to list the positives of both hardback and paperback books, with a conclusion at the end of this post.
Small, light and easy to carry, they’re convenient but are they better?
- Small and light
- Easily fit in a bag/suitcase
- Easy to hold and hold up if you’re reading while in bed!
- Generally cheaper
- No dust jacket to slip off, which also makes them easier to hold
Harder to carry but sometimes prettier…are they worth it?
- No cracked spines!
- Sometimes more beautiful
- Have not only the dust jacket cover but a plain one underneath, so taking off the dust jacket feels like opening a present
- Another opportunity for a quote/design on the under-jacket cloth cover!
- Can be easier to read while sitting, as you can just lay them out on your lap
Overall, which is better?
Depending on the book, I mainly go for paperbacks. As much as I love hardbacks, they are a lot more expensive, usually double the price (at full price). But if I loved a book previously (either on Kindle or from the library), then I’ll go for the hardback because I see it as more worth it.
So basically, I do prefer hardbacks as objects. I think they look prettier and I love seeing special under-cover designs. And it’s likely that if the hardback is only a couple of pounds more than the paperback, I’ll invest in it.
What about you? Which do you prefer?
May your shelves forever overflow with books! ☽