THIS IS A SCHEDULED POST. I AM OFFLINE UNTIL SATURDAY 30TH AND THEREFORE WILL NOT BE ACTIVE OTHER THAN POSTING.
Hi everyone! Today we welcome YA author Jessica George for a very unique interview!
J.A. George is the author of the four-part series, GIFTED: THE HAYVEN SERIES. Jessica spent years of her life reading book after book before sitting on her bed one morning, opening her laptop and typing Chapter One into her word document. Now, not only does she read book after book, she now writes book after book too. When she’s not writing, she’s trying to break her record of finishing a tub of Oreo ice cream in less than forty-five minutes.
There is no chosen one in this story.
She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and happened to make a decision that altered her future forever. It happens to all of us every day.
Avery Gray is a size twelve university student with a penchant for dry humour, and she’s as normal as they come. Up until now, the biggest choice she’s had to make was glasses or contacts? At the moment, it’s stay and save, or leave and be saved.
Allow me to explain. One rainy afternoon, Avery had to make a choice: go through the alleyway or around it. Two possible options. One would have had her future continue on as planned, the other would ensure that her future never remained the same again. She unknowingly went with the latter.
But change is not always bad. Avery meets Theodore-James Connors, an enigmatic young man who takes her to Hayven, a city separated from the rest of the world, where only gifters – ordinary people with extra-ordinary gifts – can go. She soon finds herself in a close-knit group of friends she’d never have imagined herself in; friends who are diverse in every possible way, from their ethnic backgrounds, to their personalities, from their gifts, to their life stories. Friends who make her laugh, who make her cry, who make her think and who make her…her.
However, change is not always good. The beautiful, golden city of Hayven has its dark side – Cliders. Gifters turned rogue, aka, Cliders are determined to aid fallen Clider, Madrina, return to rule Hayven. They will stop at nothing to make that happen, including harming those Ava has grown to love. Again, Ava is faced with a choice: spend her days finding a way to inhibit Madrina’s return, or walk away. After all, she isn’t the chosen one. Yet, there exists a third option – rig the future itself and make it work for her.
And may we welcome Jessica, enjoy! Thanks for writing this.
I’d like to start off by thanking Beth for allowing me to write this guest post because it’s a great opportunity to introduce the main characters from my contemporary YA fantasy novel, GIFTED to you all! I didn’t want to write about the same old author’s journey (but if you are interested in that, feel free to visit my blog: (www.thejourneyofgifted.com) so I thought I’d do something a little different! Blog readers, meet Ava, Theo, Baleigh, Lucas, Faye, Peyton, and Ollie.
Avery Charlotte Gray
• Preferred name/nickname? Pretty much everyone calls me Ava. Lucas calls me Avs.
• Age? 19.
• Hobbies? I like to read, draw, and hang out with friends.
• Favourite food? Pizza.
• Weak spot? For some reason, chocolate fingers. No idea why.
• Interesting fact? I really like the taste of lemons.
• If you could invite anybody to dinner? Roald Dahl, no question. He’s an imaginative genius.
• Thoughts in the shower? My plans for the day.
• How do friends describe you? Loyal, funny, and patient.
• Pet peeve? Negative opinions.
• Biggest fear? Losing loved ones.
• Gift? Telepathy and pre-cognition. Uncontrollable pre-cognition, I might add.
• Perfect day? Browsing an arts supplies store.
• Favourite quote? Normal is boring and nobody is good at it.
• First thing you say in GIFTED? “Someone is watching me.”
• Preferred name/nickname? Theo. My big sister calls me TJ.
• Age? 20.
• Hobbies? Reading, socialising, travelling, and charity-work.
• Favourite food? My grandad’s spaghetti bolognese. I make a pretty good replica.
• Weak spot? My mum’s chocolate chip cookies.
• Interesting fact? I used to want to be a lawyer because my dad is one.
• Dinner guest choice? Martin Luther King.
• Thoughts in the shower? The country I’d like to visit next.
• How do friends describe you? Loyal, spontaneous, curious, and compassionate.
• Pet peeve? Judging the interior by the exterior. That really gets to me.
• Biggest fear? Living and dying in the same city.
• Gift? Teleportation.
• Perfect day? Walking through a city I’ve never been to before.
• Favourite quote? I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.
• First thing you said in GIFTED? “Sorry about that.”
Baleigh Olivia Castel
• Preferred name/nickname? Bales. Only one person ever called me Bayleaf.
• Age? 20.
• Hobbies? Krav-maga and eating.
• Favourite food? Pasta.
• Weak spot? Millionaire’s shortbread.
• Interesting fact? I like the rain. I kissed Theo once. I wanted to be a doctor but hated the thought of having to deliver bad news. Pick whichever you think is more interesting.
• Dinner guest choice? Marie Curie.
• Thoughts in shower ? Breakfast.
• How do friends describe you? Honest, sarcastic, protective, funny, well-meaning.
• Pet peeve? Lies. If you don’t have the balls to tell the truth, keep your mouth shut.
• Biggest fear? Losing parents or friends.
• Gift? I’m a miroux – a shapeshifter.
• Perfect day? Shopping and eating.
• Favourite quote? Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.
• First thing you said in GIFTED? “Well, that was awkward to listen to.”
Lucas Elliot Aiden
• Preferred name/nickname? The obvious answer would be ‘Luke’ right? I don’t really have a nickname, but prefer it that way.
• Age? 21.
• Hobbies? Girls. I know that’s not the best answer I could give, but I if you’re going to read the book, I might as well be honest. You’ll find out eventually.
• Favourite food? Chips. Or fries, as Americans call it.
• Weak spot? Chocolate buttons. I always carry a small packet.
• Interesting fact? I’m great at juggling and my millionaire’s shortbread is unbeatable. It should be, it took a lot of practice.
• Dinner guest choice? Dmitri Mendeleev.
• Thoughts in shower? Guess.
• How do friends describe you? Funny, big-hearted, lothario.
• Pet peeve? People who assume they know me because of what they’ve heard.
• Biggest fear? Pinpointing a fear.
• Gift? Firider – I can produce fire.
• Perfect day? Friends during the day and a girl for the night… I’ll admit, I’m not looking so great right now.
• Favourite quote? Life is better when you’re laughing.
• First thing you said in GIFTED? The first thing I said was a name and that isn’t too exciting, so how about the second thing I said? “No worries. You were obviously preoccupied…Who’s the pretty lady?”
Faye Elena Parks
• Preferred name/nickname? I don’t have a nickname. I suppose it’s because my name is short as it is!
• Age? 18.
• Hobbies? Long walks, feeding the ducks, reading, eating out, seeing my friends – they’re like family.
• Favourite food? Chicken burgers.
• Weak spot? Marshmallows.
• Interesting fact? I like to skateboard.
• Dinner guest choice? Dr Seuss.
• Thoughts in shower? I usually sing or hum songs from my favourite musicals.
• How would friends describe you? Shy, sweet, kind, gentle, and warm.
• Pet peeve? Bullies.
• Biggest fear? Forgetting to protect others and not just myself.
• Gift? Shield. I can project this invisible force field around me that no-one can get into unless I project it around them too. If you try to force your way in, it…stings.
• Perfect day? Spent in Mysteria Park or going to a theatre.
• Favourite quote? To be truly happy you must give up on pleasing others.
• First thing you said in GIFTED? “Hello.” Not very exciting, is it? Sorry.
• Preferred name/nickname? Peyton. My mum calls me PJ which has led to Eliza-Poppy, my youngest sister, to call me Peanut Butter and Jelly.
• Age? 20.
• Hobbies? Meditation, some might say daydreaming, and yoga.
• Favourite food? Gazpacho.
• Weak spot? Boiled sweets.
• Interesting fact? I have a tattoo on my back of a dreamcatcher.
• Dinner guest choice? David Attenborough.
• Thoughts in shower? Whatever my daydreams choose. It varies every day. This morning I simply thought of polka-dots and zig-zags.
• How friends describe you? Kind, ditzy, free-spirit, and patient.
• Pet peeve? Animal cruelty.
• Biggest fear? Losing my mum or sisters. I hate to even imagine it.
• Gift? Elemental manipulation.
• Perfect day? Spent exploring the amazon rainforest.
• Favourite quote? Until one has loved an animal a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.
• First thing you said in GIFTED? “So, Ava, are you planning on attending Fulton next year?”
• Preferred name/nickname? Ollie.
• Age? 21. I’m the oldest of the group.
• Hobbies? Reading absolutely anything.
• Favourite food? Whatever my mum cooks. Literally.
• Weak spot? Biscotti.
• Interesting fact? People think I was born clever. It actually took a lot of work.
• Dinner guest choice? Everett Stone.
• Thoughts in shower? If I’ve been stuck trying to solve something, usually that.
• How friends would describe you? Smart, funny, charming, kind, and humble. Their words, not mine.
• Pet peeve? Hypocrites.
• Biggest fear? Losing my friends or family.
• Gift? Atmokinesis – weather control.
• Perfect day? Spent with friends and family. Hopefully with a cup of coffee and a plate of biscotti.
• Favourite quote? Learning is an experience. Everything else is just information.
• First thing you said in GIFTED? “She’s not the biggest fan of blood.”
They’re a lovely bunch, aren’t they?
Download a sample of GIFTED from amazon here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gifted-Hayven-Book-1-ebook/dp/B01E83HZPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460835483&sr=8-1&keywords=gifted+J+George
WANT TO WIN A COPY OF GIFTED? Enter here:
What an interesting idea and characters, I can’t wait to start the book!
May your shelves forever overflow with books! ☽